Saturday, June 7, 2014

Apple Banana Pancakes

I originally thought this recipe would make enough pancakes for two mornings, but I was wrong.  I had little to no leftovers when I made them.
 
Direct quote from my eight year old:  "Mom, the reason we (he and his brother) keep asking for more and more and more pancakes is because they are the best pancakes ever and we love them."   
 
So, I have to double the recipe if I want some leftovers.  I don't feel bad about them eating seconds and thirds though.  These pancakes are just as healthy as they are delicious.
 
Ingredients
 
2 cups whole wheat pastry flour or white wheat flour (I use Bob's Red Mill organic ww pastry flour)
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp nutmeg
1/4 tsp cloves
1/4 cup real honey
1 egg
1/3 cup unsweetened applesauce (homemade applesauce works great!)
2 cups milk (I use unsweetened coconut milk, but any milk will do)
1 ripe banana, mashed*
butter for frying
 
 
Instructions
 
1.  Mix the flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, salt, nutmeg, and cloves in a large bowl.

 
2.  Make a well in the center of the flour mix and add the honey, egg and applesauce.  Whisk the honey, egg, and applesauce together.  Add the milk to the bowl and mix all the ingredients together just until blended.  Do not overmix or the pancakes will not be light and fluffy.

 
3.  Add in the mashed banana and fold it into the batter.
 
4.. Melt about a tablespoon of butter in a large skillet.  Using a 1/4 measuring cup, add the batter to the skillet.  Flip the pancakes once they begin to brown on the bottom.
 
4.  Remove from skillet once they've browned on both sides.  Enjoy with some pure maple syrup! 
 
 
*You can use more than one banana if you like the pancakes to taste more banana-y.  :)  This recipe gives the pancakes a subtle banana, apple flavor.



No comments:

Post a Comment