Tuesday, June 10, 2014

Honey Nut "Cookies"

I'm always looking for healthy snacks for my boys, so when I found these honey nut cookies, I decided to give them a try.
 
 
However, I thought I should add more to them so my boys might find them a little tastier.  So, I created my own version of the recipe.  Here's what I came up with:
 
Ingredients:
 
2 egg whites
1/3 cup real honey
2 cups nuts and seeds (I used almonds, walnuts, pistachios and sunflower seeds)
1/2 cup dried cranberries or raisins
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1/4 tsp nutmeg
1/4 tsp ground ginger
1/4 tsp sea salt
 
 
Directions:
 
1.  Chop the nuts and seeds together and put them in a medium-sized bowl
 
 
2. Add all the spices and cranberries and mix well.  Add the honey and egg whites and mix until well-combined.
 
3.  Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper.  Scoop the nut mixture into cookie cutter molds of your choice (or just form into balls and place on the parchment).  Carefully remove the cookie cutter and the mixture will retain its shape.
 
 4.  Bake in a 350 degree oven for 15-20 minutes.  Let the cookies cool before removing them from the cookie sheet.
 
5.  Enjoy!  My boys thought these cookies were great!  My oldest really gobbled his up and asked for more.  I think my youngest prefers baked goods like muffins and breads, but he still liked these and ate his too. 

 
I store these in the fridge, but they're fine at room temperature too.  I've packed them in the boys' lunches for summer school and they've worked out great. 


No comments:

Post a Comment