Saturday, June 28, 2014

Chocolate Coconut Muffins

These are definitely my new favorite muffins! 
I made these muffins today and they are so good!  I may have eaten more than one three.  If you like chocolate and coconut, you must try them. 
 
 
 
Ingredients
 
1 1/4 cups whole wheat pastry flour  
1 1/2 tsp baking powder 
1/4 tsp salt 
2 tbs unsweetened cocoa or carob powder 
1/3 cup sugar (I use raw cane sugar) 
1/3 cup unsweetened shredded coconut + a little more for sprinkling on top* 
1/2 cup chocolate or carob chips 
1/4 cup melted butter 
1/4 cup melted coconut oil 
1 cup milk (I use almond milk, but any milk will do) 
1 egg, beaten 
1 tsp vanilla extract
 
 
Directions
 
1.  Preheat your oven to 375 degrees.  In a medium-sized mixing bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, salt, cocoa powder, sugar and coconut.  Mix well.  Add the chocolate chips and mix well again. 
 
2.  In a separate bowl combine the melted butter, coconut oil, milk, egg, and vanilla and whisk until well-combined. 
 
3.  Pour wet ingredients into dry ingredients and mix gently with a wooden spoon or rubber spatula. Mix just until everything is combined.  Do not over mix or the muffins won't be as light and fluffy!
 
4.  Fill silicone muffin liners (on a baking sheet) about 3/4 of the way full.  Sprinkle tops with shredded coconut.**  Bake in oven for about 25 minutes. Check with a toothpick to see if they're done.  They may need a few extra minutes.
 
5.  Remove from oven and let cool 10 minutes before removing from silicone liners (and devouring).  This recipe will make 10-12 muffins, depending on how big your liners are and how full you make them.  I got 11 muffins exactly.
 
 
 
*This is my favorite shredded coconut to use for baking.  The coconut taste isn't too overwhelming and it gives the muffins a really nice flavor and texture.  For those of you who live in Kuwait, I got this bag at the Sultan Center in Sharq.
 
 
**I only sprinkled about half of my muffins with coconut because I wasn't sure my kids would like the coconut on top.  They did.  I'll add the coconut to all of them next time.
 


No comments:

Post a Comment